Civilian Components in Bangladesh Navy
A good number of civilian personnel including officers are serving in Bangladesh Navy. These personnel are employed in Naval Headquarters and other Establishments of Bangladesh Navy. Purpose of employing civilian personnel in Bangladesh Navy is many fold. Some of the important objectives of employment of civilian personnel are highlighted below.
- To have the service of experienced personnel through continuity of their service.
- To minimize/economies expenditure.
Administration Of Civilian Personnel
To run the administration of civilian personnel of Bangladesh Navy a Directorate named 'Directorate of Civilian Personnel' under the Personnel Services Branch is working in the Naval Headquarters.
Role of Civilian Personnel
Civilian personnel play a very vital and important role in Bangladesh Navy. Having been employed in various installations, they put best of their services both in Technical an non-technical fields. A good number of workmen (Technical) are employed in Bangladesh Navy Dockyard to keep our war ships fit for war/operation. Similarly, non-technical staffs are also rendering very useful service in administrative jobs.
Responsibilities of Directorate of Civilian personnel
The Directorate of Civilian Personnel looks after the following:
- Recruitment and promotion of civilian personnel in Bangladesh Navy.
- All major financial matters of the civilian personnel.
- Disciplinary cases.
- General administration.
Categories of Civilian Personnel
Bangladesh Navy is having two categories of civilian personnel viz non-technical and technical. Personnel of Technical group mainly work in Bangladesh Navy Dockyard and Base Engineering Workshop, Khulna while non-technical or ministerial staffs work in all the establishments.
- On the basis of terms and conditions laid down in the recruitment rules officers and personnel are recruited and posted to various establishments.
- For recruitment of the fresh youngsters a recruitment committee is formed to carry out recruitment activities. Advertisement for the purpose of filling up various posts is published in the Daily News Papers. Recruitment committee selects candidates and puts up recommendations to Naval Headquarters for final selection. Directorate of Civilian Personnel then makes final selection amongst from the recommended candidates after taking necessary approval from the competent authority. Directorate Civilian Personnel also arranges various kinds of courses after selecting officers and personnel to impart adequate professional knowledge.
Civilian cadre of Bangladesh Navy comprises four groups. They are class I, II, III & IV. Class I officers are of two categories- technical and non-technical. Assistant Naval Stores Officer, Assistant Armament Supply Officer etc belong to Technical group while personnel officer, Library Officer, Statistical Officer, Manager Printing etc, form the non-technical cadre.
Prospect of Bangladesh Navy Civilian Personnel
Civilian personnel of all the groups have bright prospect and carrier opportunity. The technical personnel have the scope to reach up to a foreman (Class-II) from semi-skilled grade-II. Similarly, non-technical personnel of the ministerial staffs have the scope of going up to Class-I officer. The officers have also hierarchy in their carrier. The civilian personnel have the opportunities to go abroad for professional training. At home the civilian employees along with their families are entitled to get treatment in military hospitals. They are also entitled to get ration facilities in subsidised rate. Govt. accommodations subject to availability are also provided to them. Children of the civilian personnel also enjoy the educational facilities in a disciplined environment.
The officers and men of the civilian categories do have fair carrier opportunity within the Naval Establishment.